Friday, August 11, 2006

007 and Jokulsarlon


The day after rest day i decide to leave the park... there is more rain coming and low cloud so the planned walk i wanted to do i wont see anything... I'm also keen to get to spend some time at Jokulsarlon. Now i would suggest you hire the last James Bond movie and checkout the ice hotel and floating ice... something like 'to die another day' of some such

Everwhere you go in Iceland you see photos of the floating ice on this lake and think it cant be that good... no way. I leave very early i'm riding by 6.30am - please remember its daylight here at 2.30am. Its going to be a great ride, 85kms of flat land and i get to cycle pass the glacier as it receades from the hyw. Not that long ago it was at the hwy... Just the whole time i'm riding on this day i see the glacier on my left through mountain peaks or it spilling onto the plain. On my right it the black sand beach and the ocean....and to top it of i have a magic tail wind! What a blast riding along at 25kms/hour!


I get to Jokulsarlon just b4 noon. I know i'm near i can feel the cold. On the side of the road are large mounds of sand created by the receading of the glacier. Through these i can see the ice.. i have to stop and take a look... what a place! Iceburgs as big as two story houses just floating in a ice blue lake...yep the postcards are real! very real... Witht he aid of a tripod (thanks BH) i take some photos. I'm keen to do the amphibiours(?) jeep tour on the lake... i arrive just in time for the next trip... what a blast...its only for 40 minutes its around 2000krn but well worth it. Its on the trour i find out that the lake was created in 1934 from an eruptions on the Glacier. The glacier is receeding by 100mtres a year and one can't get too close as its likely an iceburg will fall at any time. As it is you can hear the ice cracking and moving.... I also now know why the iceburgs are white... they have flipped and this cause air to get in and the white is air bubbles...

ITs such a great day so sunny... i keep riding and make my camp at the hostel... I'm told to stay here by a family i meet from Norway travelling the other way.... I spend the arvo sitting in the sun room eating and reading... I have had a top day....

No comments: