Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Tuscany Touring




(Written 20/10/06 based on diary notes)

The WREN was a hoot! and i needed to make sure i wasn't flat from having all those fantastic people around me 4 a week... so i booked to do a cycle ride tour in the hills around Florence with Tuscany Bike Tours... It was a great day... only 3 people and one was the tour leader. We visited a winery and oil maker in an 11 century castle. From here road the bikes through the hills of Chianti for few hours... stopping to have lunch at a charming Ristorante before cycling some more...up hill back to the castle..

I worked out i think it had been 5 years since i had last riden a mountain anywhere, least of all up a hill. I can say that i prefer my bent.

I returned to Florence that day very pleased i had sean some of the countryside by bike.. one day determined to return with my bike.

The next day i ot ready to visit the island of Elba on the west coast of Italy. I spent my last day in Florence visiting shops, having a meal and taking in the artwork of the buildings.

I was up bright and early for my drive to Elba. I managed to get out of Florence by following signs to Siena... i tryed to avoid using the motorway because i wanted to see the countryside and if i found something very nice would stop.. but this is not so easy to do by yourself when you have to drive, remember to stay on the right and read the map.... But i had a great drive south ish and managed to find the coast... I was given great help by a local who got me to follow him in his car for around 10ksm so i would end up on the right road to get to Elba.... The world is such a friendly place

I spent 3 days on the Island of Elba reading, eating, suning myself and swimming.... It was a short freshing holiday

But it was soon time to head north and return Mini and get ready for coming home

No comments: