Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Kununurra, Flights and Darwin






















We had a couple of days in Kununurra to enjoy ourselves. Saturday 12th July, was a cycling day with out luggage visiting the Diversion Dam, Zebra Rock shop, visit Shoal Air to measure the bikes and get weighed, then coffee - real coffee at Boab Cafe... We then decided we liked the Kununurra show so much, we would go again :) Lots of fun just being still watch others use energy...

Sunday 13th July, friends working for Pacific Hydro meet us at our camping ground for a tour of Lake Argyle. Whilst we could have ridden the 75kms to the lake, we only had one day and would needed to have ridden back!!! The plan was shout my friends lunch, but they bet us to that idea with a great lunch at the Lake Argyle Tourist Park... Back in town we visited the Hootchery for coffee and Rum. We had just enough daylight to walk through 'Hidden Valley" and then climb Kellie's Knob for a wonderful sunset over the town.

Monday 14th July Birgit and Owe were collected by their tour operator for their fly, 4x4 and walk tour of Purnululu National Park. I spent the best part of the morning packing the trailer to post back to Germany, with a bottle of rum!!!... I then spent time a Boab Cafe catching up on my blog, emails and reading a book. I dropped into my work Depot and then road out to Shoal Air to pay for my ticket.... Our last night in town was a BBQ of fish

Tuesday 15th July was an early start 4.30am we were packed and at airport at 5.30am. Paul the pilot was there and the owner Steve turned up to wish a great trip and help load the bikes... We only needed to remove the front wheels... I was given the front seat :) Very kind of Birgit & Owe...

We were airborne by 6.30am and all nicely drugged with Kwells. Paying $1,100 each (including cousin Steve, who wasn't on plane) their is no room for getting or risking getting sick when we were going to be flying at around 1500 feet for 6 hours!!!

We flew over the Ivanhoe Crossing, Parry Creek Road - such a treat to see our cycle path from the air. Then we meet the Cockburn range, Emma Gorge and more. Our path was taking us to the Mitchell Falls which we circled several times, before heading north towards Truscott - where we managed to see the crashed DC3 that my work mate had told me about.. That was a lot of fun, as Paul didn't know it was there and when I said I could see it, he banked the plane on to its wing tip and circled around...Owe was the only one with enough composure to get a photo! We then headed east to Kalumburu Mission, where we landed to refuel and walk into town for a byo lunch in the Mission grounds. Sadly the museum was closed...

The rest of the flight to Darwin was a little less interesting and I think the Kwell's had started to kick in. I did like King George Falls and the flight only makes me want to sail from Broome, Whyndam & Darwin all the more... I'll have to start saving my $2 its not a cheap holiday by boat... but I think the best boat trip one could do...

Landing at Darwin was a hoot. We are in a light aircraft having to land on the same runway as a 747 or bigger... I just loved this image. We managed to unpack the bikes, attache the wheels and air, find a map to my cousin's Iris & Simone's house by about 6pm. Uncal David cooked us a great dinner and our new home for a few days was tents with out flies in the shed... It was great uncal David had set up a light and fan for us... It was like home.


Wednesday 16th July was a wonderful day cycling into Darwin from Alawa along the coast. We road about 42kms and I just fell in love with Darwin. We had coffee at the art gallery/museum. Lunch at Magic Wok so Owe could taste more of our native animals... We road back again, with more coffee and uncal David cooked us a wonderful meal again... So nice.

Thursday 17th July was work day. We bused into town again for coffee with my cycling friend, Sharon. Then we picked up the hire car, bike boxes and packed the bikes down. We then went to the Mendal Street Markets for dinner and walk around.

Friday 18th July was a moving day... I had to say goodbye to Birgit and Owe... They were heading to Kakado and other places and I had to fly home Sunday... I spent the day by going swimming, having lunch with Sharon and visiting the art gallery she once worked at. Very nice. Dinner was again cooked by uncal David :)

19st Saturday uncal David drove me to the air museum to show me the B42 bommer - its huge and well worth seeing. I caught up with Climate Change folk at the Markets, went to town to read, have coffee and wait to have dinner with Sis, Greg and the kids who were flying in tonight. this was great to catch up...

Sunday 20th July Uncal David drove me to the airport with my bike and stuff... I gave him a big hug and hoped I would make it back to Darwin soon. I managed to check all my items in without being charged excess :) Flight home was via Alice and was nice. I arived at Perth to a phone call for Peter, Craig and Cees who meet me at the airport to say hi.... Michelle and Greg had left their combi at airport for me to take home.... That night I put the Ran's back together and went for a ride around the house.... Wonderful trip...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a blast! Cheap holidays is what I am looking for. Thanks for providing some information about your trip. The more you know about the place, the better so that you can save some penny when you roam around.