Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Blogging in Berlin



So what does a girl do when she gets to Berlin? Go shopping of course!

I´m now the proud owner of some snazy new walking boots...German made of course! I decided i need these as my current cycling shoes are not the best things to walk in and i have the feeling i might be doing some walking in Iceland! There are also holes in the soles for the clip-less bits and i have found that the water gets in.. a lot if u tend to stand in puddles...

In addition i bought a silver tarp to help keep my tent a bit warmer... two man tent and only one body it can get a bit cool, even with a -15 degree sleeping bag. Plus the best water-proof gloves i have ever seen... hope they work at $45 euro this is a big purchase... Along with , insect spray, dried bean (yes finally i have found some dried food! I so much miss surprise peas), pasta in the shape of a bike, chocolate and other bits and stuff..

Oh i also did some tourist stuff... Cycling in Berlin is easy. I´m told Lonely Planet say its not good too do, but they need to ride in Perth.. Here cyclist have their own lane and traffic lights. Everyone has a bike... the place is so flat and u can put the bike on the train... with a bit of planning Berlin could become a car free city... okay that´s not likely but one can but dream.... So i did a 60k cycle ride through East Berlin to a lake... Okay i can´t remember where i was but it was very nice. Then the next day i did a bike tour with Fat Tire Bike Tours... Yes i would recommend them if u happen to be in Berlin. Its easy riding a bit slow but u get to see most of the tourist stuff and u can plan what u want to go inside to see.

The big expense for me on this trip is the maps. I´m happy to get them as they are so detailed. Today i bought the set do do the German section of the Baltic Sea Ride... looks great. And i have the Demark Baltic Sea book too this looks better.

My plan is to leave Berlin Friday and catch a train to Rostock at the Baltic sea. From here i head west towards Denmark and the plan is to ride up the east side of Denmark over the point and meet my ferry at Hanstholm by the 24 June.. I think i need around 20 days to do this. Whilst its flat, i´m expecting rain and wind and my best guess at the distance its over 1500kms...

I´m excited about getting to Iceland in a month... Thought I need to workout where i´m staying in Torshaven and Lerwick....

I won´t be updating site with photo´s for awhile so take a look at my past blogs where I have updated with happy snaps....

1 comment:

~~~ said...

Hi Fleur

You are just one amazing person doing all this on your own. I can relate to getting the bike off train platforms (try Perth station when the lift is busted and I only had a backpack)!

I loved reading your blogg, it's so interesting. Guess it's a great way for Ron to see you too. I must ring and say hello to him.

By the way, if you haven't heard (& I have via the grapevine), Toad had a heart attack and is a sick lad. I hear he's having surgery this week so I'm going to see him in hospital when he's recovered rather than contacting them now & clogging the phone line as another well wisher.

Katie was home last week for some training. It was the first time for 5 weeks that she'd had 2 days off in a row as she's been working on a shutdown. As it worked out she had 3 days off in a row - she's been pretty stuffed. I'm going to see her in karratha next month.

I gave Roni a lift to the airport this morning. She's gone to Darwin for a holiday and is staying at Backpackers. She was lucky yesterday - her brake went on her just as she was pulling into her driveway - fortuitous.

My study is going well. I have an assignment due on 23 June so I'll hit it again Monday.

Take care (can you find a nice Aussie for me????????)

love

Tilda (& Katie).

PS Thanks for the great postcard!