Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Buggered in Belgium and Fresh in France





Hi Folks

What a week. I have cycled over 300kms through rolling hills, winding rivers, pitctureques? villages, with rain and sunshine. I have stopped for a bit resting in Bouillon on the border of France and Belgium. Nice town to stop in. Though the most interesting town on the ride was Rocroi a fortified town in the shape of a star. Here I met pilgrim - Dutch guy walking 3000kms to Spain and I thought I was doing it tough!

The hills were around 5 to 8% but in the villages at times more. The longest up ride was 6kms but 3 in a day is a lot. At the top of most hills was a place to view the village below - these images will stay with me for a long time. The best downhill was 12kms into Bouillon. Over all this section of riding is not hard. Tassie was/is much harder to ride in the hills are higher. Whilst i climbed up i never got higher than around 500mtrs

The riding was great but speaking French is hard. getting info on where to find camping or food is very tiring. People are helpful though. But only know their local town info not what is in the next town. And Tourist info? as long as you speak French you can get info - otherwise its a case of pointing and guessing. Once day someone must tell me how to say banana in French as its spelt the same yet no one know what i ask for.

I have been invited to cycle in Paris this weekend with cycling folk I have met in Bouillon on my rest day. Too tempting an offer not to go and my friends are French Belgium... yes i should have taken lessions, but this is next best thing. This has meant not much cycling this week and I will need to accept their offer of a lift with my bike to Luxembourg or somewhere on the Mossel River on Monday/ Tuesday.

So i get to see Paris - this is a bit of a shift in plans. All i want to do is drink a coffee in the centre of the city and to see the tour eifel... Okay I know there is more to Paris than this but it is the life on the streets as people participqte in their day that i like....

My plan is to ride Mossel River to Koblens - Germany qnd then take train to Berlin. I have decided to spend a week in Berlin... Which is good as the spare bike tyres I posted to friends have not arrived so I will have to buy some more.

I feel a bit lost not cycling - its only Wednesday and I last rode bike Sunday so only 3 days. My freinds bring me to Luxembourg today to sightsee and drink coffee in the sun... yes it is sunny again :)

Au revoir

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Daughter Fleur,
Great trecking! You seem to be getting onto travelling. Need a motor on bike. Received your messages loud and clear (spiritually). Have a great time. Love you always.... Sheila

Anonymous said...

G'day sis,

Paris sounds great. All I got to see was athe bloody underground... not very exciting. Have a coffee for me, thinking of you always... love you

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Fleur
comment allez vous
Thats about far as my year 12 french goes it, it is nice to use it though is so great following your travels its inspiring us. Say hi to the eiffel for us we will be back to see it one day. keep on having fun we missyou love T and A xx