Sunday, April 30, 2006

Plans, decisions and moving on

So glad I did and MBA - though somehow it didn't prepare me for the decisions I have needed to make on where to cycle here... Work is easy by comparison...

I have learnt so much about reading a map, fixing my bike, asking for help and being on my own.. but now it get moves to a new level.

Tomorrow, Monday 1st May I make my way to Luxemburg. This will be a bigger test than what I have already done as there is no cycle path/route to follow. Just the following rules:
  • Whilst I can cycle 80-100ks in a day I spend a lot of the day reading the map and this is the cycling map... for this next stage to Luxemburg I'm having to use road maps -
  • I ride on the white or yellow roads and if there is a bit of green next to them then its a nice road...
  • Don't go anywhere near the red or orange roads - Simple?
  • Try to find the blue lines as this is a river and tends to be flat and
  • if I see a > on the map its a hill,
  • if a see >> its a bigger hill and
  • if I see >>> find another way!
The rest of the decisons have been about how far south do I ride? I have spent the best part of a day looking at maps and have now come up with the following plan... Of course it wil change but some idea is good. I have also booked my ticket to Iceland. Once I made up my mind on my options here then the rest of the trip has or will fall into place...

Iceland - I have decided I need 6 weeks in Iceland. This lets me have a rest day on average every 6 days. I have also assumed that I'll only average 60kms/day and I need to ride around 2000kms. To get to Iceland I need 1 week (6 days) by ferry which I have now booked. I leave on the Sat 24 June. I have 3 days & 2 nights in Torshaven. I arrive in Seysdisfjordur on the 29th June at 8am - What a great time to see land!

Returning I leave Seysdisfjordur on the Thu 10th Aug and arrive in Bergen on the 15 Aug at Noon after 2 days in Lerwick.

I then have 3 weeks to get myself back to Frankfurt via Oslo, Kobenhavn and Berlin.

Just in case your wondering where I'm going after Luxemburg? I have to find a way to Berlin and I have around 29 days to do this. If I get to Berlin early I'll store the bike and take the train to Prague...

Some of you may be laughing at my change in plans - no Eastern Europe trip... The 8 weeks needed to visit Iceland has eaten into my 22 weeks and I have found out whilst it is really easy to catch a train - I just haven't riden enough to want too - okay call me odd, but my mood is best when I'm riding my bike and I don't see sitting on a warm, dry, fast, visual & comfortable train as much fun as a cold, wet, slow, very visual and comfortable bike - not to mention sitting in my small tent in a camping ground...to a dry & warm bed with hot food on tap!

Now it will be a while before I can next update this site so sit tight and I'll let you know how I went getting somewhere east soon...

Also thanks for all the great comments... Its so encouraging

PS: Spell check is again not working and i have had to re-type this log twice trying to get it to work -

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fleur,
Hows sunny europe. Col & Ash are off in ten more sleeps. Their starting to get excited. The MAAS river brings back memories. We managed to blow up the engine in our ford transit van whilst travelling in the tunnel under the MAAS river in Rotterdam. Three bloody mechanics in the car and we still mangaged to total it. Went to Amsterdam for a week to drown and smoke our sorrows away.
All quite at work as we wind down for winter. Busy at UNI though.
Hope your well. Regards Mick & Col