Thursday, April 27, 2006

Visiting in Vlissingen (Thursday 27th April)

Where have I been?

Rest days in Amersfoort
My first rest day in in Amersfoort began with a bit of a sleeping in and a breaky surrounded by maps of where I could ride too next.. So much fun so many decision - Wonder if I should ask my boss for a more leave? Just kidding David if your reading this!

I repacked my stuff and found that I could send back some spare stuff. I was to discover that I I could send back 5kg in total at a cost of $51 Euro. For the maths minded you will also realize that this cost me $48kg Australian to bring it here in the 1st place! Just know remind me...

When shopping! Lots of fun spending money in the biggest camping store I have ever seen. Bruce you would love the place they even have free coffee for customers whilst you shop.. And I 'm told that the German Globetrotter is even better!..Can't wait. I bought some Gortex shoe covers and riding pants for Iceland, a silver mat cover to make life in my tent warmer, some wool sox and a fuel bottle. I now know why you need a fuel bottle, yes the plastic bottle that the Metho comes in is wonderful, strong and will last for years - but after an hour of trying to open it with the child-proof lock and having to ask someone to open your bottle of fuel is just a bit of a piss-off enough to buy a fuel bottle.

Also when for a 26kms ride (yes I know it was a rest day but no load on the bike). My friends live on the outskirts of their town and it was a really country ride very nice. Even got to see a lady in traditional dress.

Next rest day - the guys (Wiebke & Henk) took me to Amsterdam. And no deb I didn't partake in substances but could have. I soon discovered why when I 1st arrived in Amersfoort I got strange looks from people when I asked for directs to a coffeeshop..This I now know is where you get your drugs from... I should have asked for a coffeehouse. I really like Amsterdam. Thebuilding are wonderful so tall - about 5 stories, yet skinny, perhaps only 3 meters wide and all touching. Some are leaning a bit too much and it makes you wonder how the funiture is sitting in the house... It was a bit of a raining day but a great time - we had coffee and just walked around of course Wiebke and I did the canal tour 1st

Last rest day was a bit of a fast day. I packed my excess stuff up and Wiebke and I went to postoffice. 45 minutes later it was all sent. Then the final shop for the waterproof pant. In the morning I had checked the bike and then we loaded it into the van and that arvo Wiebke and I drove to the Hostel south of Haarlem - Noorwijk. It was strange saying goodbye and being back in a hostel. I went for a walk to the North Sea beach and like all true Australians just had to put my feet in the water... This is the only part of me going into the water - my god it was cold... But at least I can say I have done it. I went to bed that night a little lost for company - don't know why as the room I shared - unisex to boot - had 4 other bods in it...

ANZAC Day - Somewhere near Leiden
Bloody bad night sleep the 6ft joint happy block snored all night!.. But I was keen to make it a good day. I was in the area where the Tulips grow and was to do the Tulip ride. I managed to get going reasonable early 10.30am. The ride was great it started at the door of the hostel and you could see and smell the flowers for ages. Perhaps its the air or light but the colour was outstanding... I just road around field after field - I didn't ket to the big park called Keukenhof - but he 50 tour busses put me off so I kept going. I was after 30kms just a bit over flowers. I managed to find my path south the LF1 path that would follow the North Sea to Vlissingen.

It was a wonderful sunny day which is quite a change!.. The LF1 is a bit like following the cycle path north from Freo to Hillary's - and in the peak season it would have so many more people on it. But for me it was largely empty and I was free to just ride and imagine what it would be like with all the people. At 2pm I was getting a bit distressed about camping. I'm so used to having to make camp in Australian around 3 or 4pm due to the light I for get here that its not getting dark until 9pm.. Anyway I took some advice from a local and doubled back from the dunes to a camping spot called Duirell. I nearly died when I got there. This place was like camping at Adventure World - not for me and the cost for $20Euro a night. They picked me a mile away and gave me the name of a smaller camping spot called Maaldrift. This was perfect. I called Fritz who lived near by and had been giving me advice along the way and planned to have coffee. I sent up camp and cooked my dinner. Fritz, if your reading this I'm so humbled by the hospitality your showed me. I truly hope I can in some way thank you. For the rest of you and perhaps only cyclists will understand, when Frits turned up at my camp he brought me, bananas, tea, biscuit's and a small bottle of wine, plus maps to help me on my way. We had tea and applepie in town and chatted about cycling - a wonderful night.

Relaxed somewhere near Rockonje
It rained last night. I didn't want to get out of bed - but I did. I packed eat my banana and made my way back to the LF1 path. Now for the non-cyclist and cyclist alike when I say cycling path I don't mean path - generally I have my own road where the cars if they have to cross it have to give way to me... This is my kind of cycling. Though it is changing as the small 50cc bikes are also allowed to use the paths and this is at time very annoying...

The maps Fritz came me showed all the camping spots to Vlissingen so It made for related riding as I didn't have to wonder where I was going to put up the tent. Riding along the dunes there were many fresh water lakes it was very nice. The towns I road through where a bit like the Gold Coast but for me empty... When I got to The Hague (Den Haag). I had a wonderful welcome by the locals who thought I was tough and very brave cycling Europe and they wished me well. The Hague I didn't really see - just road through the outer part past all the very expensive houses and cars. I didn't some food shopping at the port and continued on. In a need of a loo I was told that the beach cafe's might be able to help. Now until now I thought Iwas on the beach riding through the dunes - but just over the dune I road down on to the beach to a cafe that was wonderful. It had a wooden deck and was right on the beach with bali style lounge chairs outside - very nice so I stayed and had a coffee.

I continued on and eventually I ended up riding along the Maas River again. I crossed this by punt (very big punt) but before hand that guys I met as I first arrived in the Hague where also along the river eating lunch - it was like meeting old friends again!... The next part of the ride took me to the best sea village I have seen and I soon 5.30pm found my camping spot at a mini-campsite a farm. Very nice spot and I cooked my dinner again.

No comments: