Saturday, April 22, 2006

Arranging in Amersfoort

When last I wrote I was telling you about my 1st Castle visit... I have moved on a bit now.

Klimbing in Koblenz
This day (15 April) was a big day I road 65kms but it was loverly watching all the castle along the Rhein... I arrived in Koblenz to discover the hostel was a castle on the top of avery big hill up the steepest hill I have ever seen... needless to say i didn't ride but walked, pushed laboured & endured getting the bike to the top of a 3km road - the only 3 words that comes to mind to explain the event was FUCKing hard work! I was not alone in my struggle as 5 young German kids were doing the same.. we all ended up in the same dorm and it was a good night of chatting... I also met my 1st Australian here and based of his trip on the trains I'm so glad I'm cycling Europe I have freedom to decide where I want to go.

Raining in Remagen
It rained all day... Until I got to camp ground in Remagen where I had plenty of sunshine to fix my flat tyre... I left hte hostel early as a girl was snoring and had woken me early. I was on the bike by 8am and it was a lovery time to be up. I decided I would attempt to see something as a tourist. I went to the big monument on the point I could see from the castle - my god this made the big banana, big ram and big prawn look like matchbox toys. The Germans know how to build BIG.. It was a horse and man built after the war out of respect for the past events of the war...

It continued to rain and I was sitting in a very old court yard or village center in Koblenz, it is Easter Sunday and the bells begain to ring everywhere. I would have to say that this image will stay with me for some time it was magical. I had planned to go the butterfly meusem but it eas back over the river, the rain was getting worse and I had to double zip my jacket as it was cold and wet so my meed was a bit low in attempting to find the place so I road out of town.

My Gortex jacket is wonderful here the best thing for cycling and everone is wearing them. I also discover I have a wonderful ability in holding my bladder! With flat tyre, full bladder, cold rain I continued riding for 15kms until I found a loo.. what a releaf!

I had dinner tonight in the local cam pub and was invited to have coffee with Volker and Marion(?). It was a great converstation and very nice to be chatting with locals.

Kool in Koln
I camped again to night. And fixed my 3rd flat. But should be over now as I have finally put the touring tyres on the bike and got rid of the racing slicks something I should have done before I left... Today was not such good riding I'm more in the industral part of the Rhein. When past my 1st working necular power station complete with 1000 solar panel on the ground and 4 wind-turbines.

I'm camped 7kms out of Koln. I cooked dinner for the 1st time

No comments: