Monday, April 17, 2006

Kool In KÃlamn


Now updating this site is going to be a tad harder than expected or I'll have to learn to read German as unlike hotmail is done's convert to English... On top of that the keyboard is a little different to use as the y & z are swapped and things like shif work differently.. But u don't want to know any of this.. u want to know where I have been for a week or perhaps not.. Highlights of my week below:

Exhausted in addressing
My kingdom for the ability to tighten bolts... I had got Patience together all right as long as I didn't want to ride her with any load... To cut a long story short and spare u the details of the two phone calls to Ron... I managed to get the bolts tight (but wait until tomorrow)... I left Frankfurt at 2pm thinking its only 40kms to Mainz I'll make it... I didn't even though I had a great cycling map... I think I new I was a bit done in when that thunderstorm hit at 4pm... I didn't get too wet, but it did my mood for riding #... Then I came to the hydro station bridge simple to get a fully loaded bike up three flights of stairs on your one... I was assisted but in the process I got my 1st flat for the trip... I fixed this but it was now lat 5pm... I needed to get some lodgings... Lucky for me 16 yr old Mark and his dad came along and found me a place to stay on a Greek restaurant...Wonderful

I had a meal and met Linda & her husband who bought me dinner as a thank u for the attention their daughter had in Oz last year... Great stuff..

Made it to Mainz
So the next day 5kms out of addressing.. The suspension giveaway (hope your reading this Sats & Aldo)... Shit In the middle of nowhere I spy a car dealership called Mitserbishi and yes a mechanic who kindly cleaned the bolts used lock tight and tightened them for me... So far and 200kms later fine... And yes I did get to Mainz hostel

Terrific in Trechtingshausen
Big day and my 1st night in the tent... Coffee in the morning helps with one's mood... Got lost in the morning and road up hill through a Forrest very nice found the river again with some help. This was amy best day so far as the sun came out and the flowers started on the trees it was so very nice. However I now know what the red sign Hochwasser means the hard way... I road the bike through what looked like a shallow lake but it soon turned nasty and deep. It was over my front hub complently and it took all my ability to ride through the current... I got through but things were very wet as I was to later find out... But sleeping bag was dry so I was happy... I do hope the hubs are water tight..

I visited my 1st castle today above the camping ground called Burg Rheinstein not bad

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear your having fun, and the bike is at least still together. yes the internet in another language is abit daunting let alone the keyboard. hope your taking lots of pics in between the breaks. Just after I told you that the gas was flowing there was another problem but I believe its all fixed. no other appointments have been made. news is pretty thin here ... cheers

Anonymous said...

Gidday Fleur,

Sounds like your making hard work of it. Hope you tidy your act up and get those bolts a bit tighter.

Poor old Bryan had a bad start to the day today. He's cleaned up a big skippy on his way to work. Damaged the front end and his bank account.
Mick and Bryan

Anonymous said...

Hi Fleur
Good to read of the adventure. Remember there are no speed limits on the autobahn so you can really give that bike a work out. The team at PHL wish you well.
Regards
Matt

Anonymous said...

Hi Fleur,
well u seem to be having a fun ol' time - lots of swimming in the "High Waters" and other wet activities! Don't know how to send this so will experiment and follow up with another email later on.Enjoy yourself - nice to be free as a bird - keep out the puddles tho! Love from Sarah