Sunday, April 23, 2006

Stressing in Sturzelberg



Bit more of where I have ridden...

Stressing in Sturzelberg
This was not such a good day for riding basically a very industrial area - but the big highlight before I got to much in to the industry was Koln and it's cathedral. Amazing building and so was the number of visitors considering this is off-season. The size, stain glass windows and gothic design is something to behold. I didn't stay inside very long as I was worried about the bike locked outside - there were may people around.

I tried to get money but not luck as my debit card is a bit odd here and I need to make sure I use a bigger bank not the smaller ones. I found a map that would get me to Netherlands via the Rhein or going over to the Maas River.. (more on that) and I then left the city bit overwhelmed by all the people..

My camping spot is nice and only $5 euro but not shower! I couldn't cook as no food so had honey bread for tea.. It was a very cold night and I had to sleep in thermals and pants and still was cold in the tent in my 4 season sleeping bag with silk liner... What's Iceland going to be like?

I got a bit stressed about which way to go from here to the Netherlands continuing to follow the Rhein was not an option as it was getting more and more industrial. I needed to cross over to the Maas River but which way to go. After some phone calls I settled on a the green line on my map not to be confused with the red, orange, yellow, grey or black lines on the map or the blue or lighter green - Great I'm sure I'll find the way

Kranky in Klein Virk (Arcen - Netherlands)
87kms today and didn't set up tent until 8.30pm - bit pissed off with the place I ended up camping. The day started out great but I didn't leave early enough. The camping owner gave me the best map I have used so far for getting to Venlo (Netherlands) from Neuss (Germany)... Just follow the greenline. And I'm not kidding once I was in Neuss a bike rider told me the whole route is painted on the road in green you just follow it. When they can't use paint as the route is dirt green posts are put in the ground. It was so very simple. This route is nice to ride - it takes you along waterways, forests and farm land sometime on dirt but so simple to follow. It takes a northwest direction and is not that direct but flat and easy to ride. At 2.30pm I made a decision to continue on to Venlo hoping I would find camping in the town and not make for the hostel in Monchengladbach. I think this was a good decision but finding camping in Venlo was not so easy and I was given bad information. This information had me ride 20kms further north of Venlo to a big commercial camping ground called Klein Vink.

When I got there at 7.30pm it was shut. I had to use an intercom on a boomgate to findout where to camp. I was very stressed, tired hungry and not at all happy. I managed to overcome all this and get my camping spot and set up camp and eat food that I had bought that day. It was fine once I was in my tent...

Enthused @ Eldorado Camping Ground (Thursday 20th April)
I was still flat in the morning, rang both sets of Friend in the Netherlands for advice & rang Ron just to hear his voice... I then decided that the only way I was going to buck-up was with coffee so I road back the 6kms to Arcen - but 1st I had to pay for my camping and what a way to upset me more... I was charged $23 euro more than a hostel. Not happy chappy!... Coffee was needed urgently.

I found a cafe in the divine village and sat outside drinking my coffee all alone in the sun. Henk called and it help make up my mind that I needed the company of friends. The ride to Amersfoort was 2days and the ride to Vlissingen was 3 -4 so Amersfoort was decided.

Henk told me to follow the LF3 route... Once I found it I was one my way. This was a loverly ride following the Maas River. Of which I had to cross 3 times by punt. By the time I got to the camping ground at 5pm the coffee and riding had fixed my mood. I cooked dinner and slept soundly in my tent.

Arrived in Amersfoort
This was going to be a big ride... 86kms in fact. It was shorter than the actual plan as I got helped so much in Nijmegen crossing the Maas & Waal Rivers that I didn't get to see the oldest town in Holland!... A bunch of racing cyclists help me get to a Dyke that would make my trip shorter. This mad up for getting lost in the morning on a mountain bike track and again later in the day when I got very lost in Ede!...

It was a great day riding I was full of beans (coffee kind)... I arrived in Amersfoort after following a canal for about 15kms and ended up in the middle of the town only 20kms from where my friends live. They road into to town to get me... It was wonderful chatting again after 2 years!...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Fleur
Bryan Alexander is leaving - haven't found out why as yet but believe he's going to another job. Mick will probably be able to tell you. Glad to hear that you are going well, conversing with the locals, but the sounds of things are you coping extremely well considering. so where's the pic's ???
take care - cheers Jo

Anonymous said...

Wow-I have just got used to Cadence and now we have Blogging on the Internet.
Your last Email had several addresses which I am now exploring.
Good to read of your travels.
Have strated gathering info on Recumbants ,not sure if trike is better than two wheels.
Take care of yourself.
Regards
Peter W.

Anonymous said...

You go girl!
touring tires do sound like the right option.

JohnT

Anonymous said...

Hi Fleur,

Sounds like you are doing a great job!!! I am extremely envious, and look forward to reading of your further adventures.

Evette Smeathers, HP, Ktha Office

Anonymous said...

Hi Fleur,

Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job! I am extremely envious, and can't wait to read of your further adventures!

Evette Smeathers, HP, Ktha Office

Fleur said...

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your great comments